Monday, May 16, 2011

Updated to Vista Service Pack 1

Even though Windows Vista Service Pack 1 was finally released and made available for download 2 months ago, I didn’t immediately update my Windows Vista installation. Why? Because I wasn’t excited and neither was I looking forward to it. Windows Vista came pre-installed on my machine but if I had the choice, I would’ve opted to install Windows XP on it.
Regarding the Vista SP 1 update, I said to myself that I would just wait for the auto-update rollout which was scheduled a month after the release. However, the month of April passed and there was no SP1 on Windows Update. Anyone else got the update last month? Anyways, I got mine just a couple days ago. When I saw the Windows Update icon, I clicked on it and found out the update was for Vista Service Pack 1, I decided to go ahead with the update instead of skipping it.
Btw, if you haven’t received a Windows Update for Service Pack 1 and you wanna check what version/edition of Windows Vista you have on your machine here’s how you do it. Click on Start, then look for Computer, right click on it and click on Properties and you’ll see something like this:
Windows Vista Service Pack 1
The screenshot above was taken after the update so if you haven’t update yet, you won’t see “Service Pack 1″ on it. The update process (download and installation) took close to 4 hours! Inspite of the long and agonizing wait, I’m glad that everything worked fine and the whole update process went smoothly. I also didn’t have any problems with any device drivers.
If you don’t have Vista Service Pack 1 installed on your machine yet, you can do a Windows Update manually by clicking on the link. This will open up Windows Update on Internet Explorer and although I’m not 100% sure, I’m positive the Service Pack 1 update will be there.
For those of you running Windows Vista, have you already updated to Service Pack 1? If not, what’s keeping you from doing it? For those who updated, did you experience any problems with the update/install process? Where there any conflicts or problems with your device drivers after the update? Share your thoughts and comments via the comment form. Thank you and have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment